Saturday, March 29, 2008

Wheat Recipes -- Waffles, Pancakes & French Toast

I didn't think good fluffy waffles were possible with just whole wheat, but I was wrong. I make them all the time and they're wonderful. Yes, they have more oil than pancakes, but they're a nice wholesome treat for mealtimes or dessert. We top them with real maple syrup or a variety of fruits -- fresh berries, peaches, mangos or cooked apples, berries, or peaches w/cinnamon. I usually put so much fruit on mine that you can't even see the waffles anymore. To me, it's like eating a pie or shortcake with a much healthier crust! Obviously, I don't eat these when I'm eating all raw, but it's great for the rest of my family and is something I can join in with when I'm eating a high raw diet.

Fluffy Whole Wheat Waffles

1 c. soy or almond milk
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. wheat flour
1/4 c. oil
2 T. honey or unrefined sugar

Mix by hand or in mixer. Pour onto hot waffle iron as directed by the appliance user guide. Save what you don't eat in a ziploc bag and reheat in the toaster for up to a week if refrigerated. I usually triple or quadruple the recipe to have them handy for quick breakfasts for my kids throughout the week.

-- I have one son who for some unknown reason loves pancakes, but won't eat the waffles. So I make pancakes more often than waffles. Sometimes I just use the waffle batter for pancakes too, but if I make them alone, I adapt the earlier recipe with 1/2 the oil or use this other great pancake recipe.

Wonderful Wheat Pancakes
3 c. wheat flour
1 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
2 eggs
3 c. soy or almond milk (sometimes I use 1 c. water and 2 c. milk)
1 1/2 T. oil

If you don't eat eggs or are out of them, you can omit the eggs and increase the soy milk by 1/4 c. and increase the baking powder by 1/2 T.

Mix all together and cook until bubbly, then flip. As you cook, the batter seems to thicken. I end up adding a bit of water or soy milk as I go.

-- It may seem basic to list a French Toast recipe, but I have a little recipe I came up with in my last pregnancy almost 6 years ago when I was craving French Toast daily. The combination of sweetness from the vanilla soy and added cinnamon is just great!

Sweet & Spice French Toast
2 eggs
1/2 c. vanilla soy milk
1/2 t. cinnamon
whole wheat bread

(I actually just pour in the soy milk and cinnamon and you can too if you don't feel like measuring, but these ratios are right, so you make it once, see the consistency and run with it from there).

Stir together in a flat dish. I usually use a glass bread pan because it's rectangular like the bread slices. Dip bread on both sides and cook over the stove until brown.

Top with real maple syrup or fruit.

-- I'll post my sweet bread recipes either later today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment