Thursday, May 14, 2009

Sleepiness as Motivation

Yes, this is another post about eating. It's what I think about. It's what I write about. This morning I could not get my body out of bed. I could not even get my head to move to look at the alarm clock. I didn't want to move. I managed to reset my alarm and then I didn't sleep much in all that time because my daughter's cell phone alarm went off over and over for the next hour. Did that make me think "Just get up!" No, not at all. I couldn't. I was in a fog.

I thought about how easily I'd gotten up yesterday and the day before. I was eating really well all week. But yesterday I got off track a bit -- I can't even remember with what right now -- oh yeah, a Kashi apple cereal bar and some Kettle Chips. This may not sound all that major, but for my body, it makes a big difference in my energy and sleep needs.

When I came back home from taking my children to school (our school is so little it doesn't have buses), I crawled back under my covers and slept for 2 more hours. I didn't feel like working out after that either. But after a day of eating well (mostly raw foods, a few green smoothies, a ton of veggies on a toasted wheat roll for dinner -- yum!), I felt good tonight and finally got to my workout that was planned for this morning.

I was tempted a few times today to eat some snacky things like Annie's Chocolate Bunny Grahams (they taste like the tops of Oreos to me -- but even better), but my mind went to how I felt early this morning compared to how I felt the mornings before. I didn't want to feel so groggy again tomorrow. I wanted vim and vigor to start my day off right. I've seen this connection in my life for months, even years. But it takes time to get it instilled in my brain. Why is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment