Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Giving up the extras in our lives

Now I realize that it's not very minimalistic of me to post twice in one day, but I just have to share this other blog for minimizing the craziness and clutter in our lives.  It's called :mnmlist and it simply has one post on the whole page each time you log on.  At first I was thinking, "Where are all the other posts?" and kind of felt like I was in that Mike TV scene on Willy Wonka because it was all white and empty.  But now I get it. 

One post that I love is on giving up the extras in our lives.  Everyone has their limits to be sure, but how reasonable are our limits of how much we think we need to keep in our lives?  I'm pondering this right now because we're going to move again in the next month or so (maybe even in a few weeks -- life's a little up in the air right now) and I don't want to pack or lift a single box that is not necessary to our lives. That's quite a lofty goal, but I'm up for the task.

Here's the article  'I Could Never Give Up'

I just re-read it.  He even runs barefoot?  Wow!  

The author states on his blog that we can feel free to copy his posts, so I'm going to share his recommendations for having less.  I need to print this out as I pack and weed through our stuff.  Apparently weeding through once and my few trips to the thrift store aren't enough.  But I already knew that.

mnmlist : less

Stop buying unnecessary things.
Toss half your stuff, learn contentedness.
Reduce half again.
List 4 essential things in your life,
stop doing non-essential things.
Do these essentials first each day, clear distractions
focus on each moment.
Let go of attachment to doing, having more.
Fall in love with less.



No comments:

Post a Comment