Monday, August 20, 2012

Inching Your Way to Waking Up Earlier


Do you wish you could wake up earlier without being tired?  Improving your diet will help.  So will going to sleep earlier.  But sometimes going to bed earlier doesn't help if you aren't tired and can't fall asleep.

Inching toward your new wake-up time can help your body to adjust gradually. If you are planning to travel somewhere with an earlier time zone or just want to wake up earlier so you can fit in your workout before your day takes off, try setting your alarm just 15 minutes earlier.  It's not hard to do the math, but within 4 days, you'll be getting up an hour earlier without your body rebelling.  You'll also be able to fall asleep earlier because the shift will be gradual.


Watching the Olympics until midnight this summer got my sleep schedule off a bit and I'm inching my way back before school starts again.  The thought of waking up 2 or even 3 hours earlier seems crazy, but with a gentle step-by-step approach, I'm sure I'll be fine.  It's worked well for me in the past and I'm happy to have this little trick up my sleeve!  TTFN!


Inchworm photo by Glen Edelson Photography.  Olympic photo by JustinTime.

2 comments:

  1. The Olympics were brutal on my sleep schedule! I like to get up between 5 and 5.30 to run, do yoga or household stuff, and fighting to stay away til 11 to catch the headliner events (midnight was impossible) messed me up quite a bit. Only now am I finally getting back into my old rhythm.
    Kate/Rivercat on VF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, isn't it ironic that watching the Olympics (the event for the most physically fit in the world) caused us to get our fitness off track a bit with less sleep? :)

    ReplyDelete