Sunday, June 22, 2008

Public Speaking


This morning I gave a talk in church. That's what we call a speech or sermon at church. I love speaking in front of everyone. Most people have a hard time with it, but it's something I've always loved. Usually they give me the topic to speak on, but this time I got to choose. I chose to talk about nutrition -- all in the context of our bodies being gifts from God that will work amazingly well if we feed them as He planned for us -- using his creations, the abundant plants upon the earth to feed our bodies.

There were probably 200 people there and I hoped not to scare them off with talking about something so personal. I was mindful of the overweight people when I walked in -- knowing what I'd be saying and hoping they didn't get offended.

I had many people come up to me afterwards and tell me they loved my talk -- that it was inspiring to them to eat better -- that they agreed with all I said. One friend told me she was going home to throw all the food out from her kitchen that wasn't healthy. Good for her!

I just wanted people to know that with our stewardships for our own bodies and essentially for the bodies of our children and husbands (if we cook for them), we need to wisen up to nutrition and really look at what we're eating and preparing in our homes.

I'd planned to tell them that they could call me or come over any time to talk about it more. 15 minutes isn't a lot of time to really get into the meat (pardon the pun :)) of the discussion on food. But my husband followed up well (he spoke after me). He said that this was probably my favorite thing to learn about and talk about -- and that I talk about it all the time at home. So perhaps if anyone does have questions or needs support, they'll know it's something I'm happy to help with. He also said it was the best talk I've ever given. How sweet is that? If you knew him and his minimal nature of giving out complements (and how critical he is about speeches -- not that he's mean in his judgments, just hard to impress), that would mean even more.

I wrote my talk up on WORD last night and could post it here. I just don't want to mix too much religion in with this blog -- not that I'm shy about sharing, just that this wasn't my intent for this blog. I'll have to think about that one. Until then, eat from the abundance of the earth and enjoy good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment