Monday, September 8, 2008

Raw Recipe -- Pesto & Stuffed Mushrooms

This used to be in another post, but the title was so long that no one could find the fudge at the end (including me!)

So I'm giving the pesto and mushrooms their own post. I need to make them again though so I can get a picture for you. My pleasure!

For now, here are the recipes:

Pesto (no dairy, yay!)
1 c. walnuts
½ c. pine nuts
2 c. basil
½ c. olive oil
3 cloves garlic
½ t. sea salt

Blend all the ingredients in a food processor. Keep in the fridge in a sealed container. Wonderful in stuffed mushrooms or just with flax crackers. I’m sure it would be good with pasta too if you’re eating cooked foods. It's so yummy and makes me realize that I don't have to give up tasty Italian food just because I'm not eating cheese anymore.


Stuffed Mushrooms
Wash and take the stems off of a bunch of mushrooms (as many as you want to eat in one day because they don’t taste great a day later). Put a teaspoon or more pesto into the hole left by the stem – whatever it takes to fill it. Lay them face down (w/pesto up) on a tray. If you have a dehydrator and want them to stay raw, dehydrate them at 105 degrees for 5-6 hours.

If you don’t mind cooked food and want to use your oven, just bake them at the lowest setting (or about 200 degrees) for about an hour (until soft). They taste wonderful because the olive oil marinates the mushrooms and it’s super flavorful. I'm sure you could marinate other veggies like zucchini like this just fine too. I've brought these to parties (as a tray of appetizers) and I haven't seen anyone eat them who hasn't gotten that wide-eyed look of "YUM!" as they say "These are good!"

No comments:

Post a Comment