Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Article on foods that cause bad breath

In light of yesterday's post, I just found an article on the foods that cause bad breath. In a nutshell, it says that foods that spoil (and smell) fast cause bad breath -- dairy products and other dense proteins like meat, poultry, and fish. She mentioned beans as a dense protein too, but said that was rare. I've never noticed any problems with beans.

She mentioned some other foods -- sugar and acidic foods (sugar is acid-forming by the way).

When I'm eating a high raw diet, I'm rarely eating sugar and have more alkaline foods, and am not eating dairy or any form of meat, so this supports why my breath would be fresh and sweet in the morning.

Here's the full article from Wild World of Food.

Not to gross you out or anything, but I was just thinking about the difference between cleaning up after one of my children have thrown up when they've had dairy or when they've just had homemade bread and fruit (a frequent dinner in our home). When they've had milk to drink or cheese to eat, the smell is just awful and the milk is all curdled. If it's just grains, vegetables, or fruit, sure, it's still awful to clean up, but it's not really smelly at all. The dairy products spoil quickly inside our bodies just as they do when they're left out of the fridge, maybe even faster once our enzymes start breaking them down. I really need to go back to school to get a masters in nutrition. I have such a curiosity for how all this works. Maybe in a few years. The thought of studying again because I *have to* isn't all that appealing to me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment