Thursday, April 2, 2009

Just do it.

Here I've been talking about being in control of how we eat, but I wasn't really talking about the exercise component. Funny thing, my exercise had been off for more than a month, maybe two. I didn't exercise much the week before I was sick because I was on the verge of getting sick -- didn't quite have my full strength. Add on the 2 weeks sick in bed plus a few weeks of low strength and energy afterward. There's my month off excused. But after that, my resolve was gone. My love of fitness was still there and I'd plan each night what I'd do the next day. When morning came ever too quickly, however, I couldn't get myself out of bed.

This went on for a few weeks. I lost track. It wasn't the typical physical "I'm too tired" response. It was more mental. I think I had a fear that if I didn't get enough sleep, I'd get sick again. So I'd reset my alarm during the night, would tell myself that I could exercise after I took the kids to school or later in the day. And that just wouldn't happen. I'd have too much else going on. Mornings are so much easier for my workouts if I do it first thing. Just doing it is the key.

So this week, I switched to a thought that used to work for me if I'd get to bed too late. Instead of giving myself a free pass to miss my workout, I'd tell myself to get up anyway, exercise, and give myself the pass to take a nap after the day got going if need be. This may not work for everyone -- so many others have jobs to go to or little ones who need to be cared for at home. But for me being at home most every day, I can work in a nap if I need it. Most of the time I don't end up needing it, but it's a good out for me if I really do end up sleep deprived.

When I did get up, if I wasn't gung ho for exercising, I'd go through the motions anyway. I'd get my workout clothes on, I'd pop the fitness dvd into the dvd player, and eventually would get myself moving. I knew it would be a challenge for my body since it's been so long since I've done weights or much cardio. But I followed the old Nike adage "Just do it." and got myself going. It was amazing to see how weak I was with the simplest moves like stationary lunges or even front raises with just 3 pound weights. That's okay, though. In fact it was great. I worked my body and it responded well. I'm sore as can be, but will recover, work some more with my beloved Slim Series dvds and will be back to my former strength within a week or two. It has taken some time to get going again, but it feels great to be back.

2 comments:

  1. I need to get on a regular exercise regimen myself. I've been walking sporadically in the afternoons. I think once I've quit my night job next month, I'll be able to get to bed earlier and get up earlier and do some kind of a workout. I should stamp that Nike logo on my forehead.

    Renee, my doctor last year told me to stay completely off fast food, and I haven't had a burger eating out in over a year. I try to eat slow things instead, like snails and turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too funny, Rusty! :) Let me know what kind of workout schedule you come up with. Walking is great exercise. Have you ever lifted weights?

    ReplyDelete