Monday, March 30, 2009

What I've learned from Elf

We quote Elf so much in our house. From "I'm in love, I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!" to "I'm a human raised by humans," we enjoy reliving this movie in our day to day lives.

Another great one is "Us elves like to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup." I'm glad my kids know that's absurd enough to be funny (although I used to eat that much sugar during the holidays myself -- ugh! :) )

The line my husband probably says most to our kids is "Make work your favorite!"

Here's a clip of that part of the movie:



I was thinking about this line "Make work your favorite" last night when I was pondering this mental shift from being attached to certain eating habits, patterns, or addictions (as mentioned in yesterday's post). I know that sugar and other foods can be addicting. But I don't think it's that hard to stay away from it after the initial separation. Once the sugar is out of your system and better food is in, the brain doesn't crave it as much. The habits and patterns are there of thinking it's fun to eat, but the body truly doesn't desire it as much. So just like Buddy the elf's boss was telling him to stop thinking "Smiling's my favorite" to thinking work was his favorite, I know I can do the same by telling myself that being in control of what I eat is my favorite.

Somehow, just as I was starting this post today, a friend put this picture on Facebook of me dressed as an elf when I was home from college for Christmas. I remember loving doing this, but I've never seen a picture of it. So fun. I couldn't help but share.

No comments:

Post a Comment