Sunday, June 21, 2009

Vacations and Weight Gain


Vacations and weight gain -- do they have to go together? They seem to want to. I'm not sure what it is, but most of the time when I go on vacation, I gain weight. I've tried all sorts of things to remedy this -- bringing produce in the car for snacking, bringing my step, weights, yoga mat, videos (even TV/VCR combo to one reunion back in the days before portable dvd players or laptops). I usually do pretty well the first few days, but somehow that "I'm on vacation" mode tried to extend to vacationing from my healthier ways of eating and I get off track.

Fortunately, I don't travel that often. My mom is a school teacher and travels most of the summer and on each holiday break. She ruins her weight loss progress every time. I only do it maybe one or two weeks out of the year. Still, it's enough to frustrate the process and interfere with my journey in health.

I just drove through 3 states to get my daughter back to college for summer term. I didn't plan all that well. It was my "rest week" in my exercise rotation -- so that worked well. I was supposed to do less intense workouts all week, so I brought my yoga mat and went for walks as much as possible (went swimming one day). Driving 15 hours each way (divided into 2 days each time) certainly doesn't help though. I was sedentary and was eating much more than usual to keep myself awake and from going stir crazy. Visiting friends and relatives can present challenges too, but I think I'm getting better at handling that. I still didn't do as well as I'd hoped though and came back to my scale 5 pounds heavier.

I have one more vacation planned later this summer and am going to do the following to prevent the weight gain and to ensure I stick with my eating ways:

  • Bring a cooler with plenty of fresh fruits and veggies
  • Continue to replenish cooler as trip progresses with fresh foods
  • Make green smoothies beforehand and freeze several to take in cooler
  • Drink plenty of water (I found myself dehydrated 1/2 way through this last trip)
  • Use that yoga mat every night before bed or each morning before shower
  • Question self if the fake foods are worth it. Stick with whole foods, fresh if possible.
  • If I eat out, split a dish or just get the side order.
  • Stay away from bread -- it causes weight gain abroad just as much as it does at home.
  • If the *vacation* mindset starts to creep in, chase it away with a dose of reality.
I'll let you know how I do at the end of the summer. I've practiced many of these tips before and have done well. For now, I'll endeavor to get these extra weight off well before that next trip. TTFN!

1 comment:

  1. Great planning and good for you for making the effort. That's to be applauded.

    Cheers,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete