Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Raw Recipe -- Flax Seed Crackers


I've been promising my friend Natalie for about a month now that I'd post my recipes for dehydrated crackers. I mainly make 3 different kinds. Flax seed crackers are mostly just that -- soaked flax seed. For the sprouted wheat crackers, I either make a savory flavor using sprouted wheat, soaked flax seeds (it turns gooey and acts like a glue for the cracker), and vegetables or I make a sweet version with the sprouted wheat, soaked flax and fruit (mostly apples, sometimes berries or peaches). I'll post the wheat crackers later on. (I'm short on time or I'd do them both now -- sorry!)

I've never tried making crackers one of the smaller circular dehydrators, but my friends who have haven't had any success. I used my Excalibur Dehydrator with 9 shelves and Teflex sheets. If you don't have the Teflex sheets, the cracker mix will go through the trays. So find an Excalibur to borrow if you don't have one yourself (or start saving up! They're worth the cost).

Here is the recipe:

Flax Seed Crackers

2 cups whole flax seeds (soaked in 2 c. water for at least few hours to overnight)
2 cloves garlic
juice from 1/2 lemon (ends up being about 2 T.)
2 T. Braggs Liquid Aminos

Put all ingredients in a food processor and blend together thoroughly.

Scoop out mixture with a spatula onto a Teflex sheet on the dehydrator screen. It's pretty gooey and difficult to spread at first, but you'll get used to it.

Dehydrate at about 105 degrees overnight or about 10-12 hours. The top layer of the cracker should look dry. Once it is, you turn the Teflex sheet over onto the dehydrator screen and peel off the Teflex sheet from the back. If it's sticking too much, then it needs to dry some more. If it peels off well, then you're fine. Put the tray back into the dehydrator at the same temperature until the top is dry -- another 6 or so hours. (I don't really time it -- I just check back every once in awhile).

These are really great with fresh salsa, hummus or pesto. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment