Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wasting a Workout


Several years ago, I was at a baby shower and was offered some cake and ice cream. When I declined, a friend of mine made a comment about how strong I was for resisting. I told her that I had done a really tough workout that morning and didn't want to waste the workout by eating all that sugar. She works out all the time too and (as she took her next bite of cake) said, "Wow, I've never thought of it like that. I work out so I can eat the dessert."

I've thought about that statement many times since. I probably started out in that mindset of you exercise so you can burn off all those tempting excess calories you want to eat (but know aren't good for you). As I've gotten older though (and hopefully a bit wiser), I can see that you don't take two steps forward just to even out those few steps back. You step forward so you can get where you want to go.

Since my move, I've had a harder time sticking with my healthy eating and my workouts every morning. I've finally got my exercise groove back and I'm bound and determined not to let my eating temptations (mainly bread) waste my workouts. I'm tired of pushing myself, getting all sweaty, feeling wonderful when I've finished exercising only to go week after week without any visible results. I've been much more mindful this past week about the efforts I've put forth with my workout when I head into the kitchen and decide what to eat. No more wasted workouts for me! I'll be back in a month to post my results. I know it will pay off.

No comments:

Post a Comment