Monday, May 3, 2010

A Time to Regroup, a Time to Change

 My grandpa used to say as we'd drive through a forest, "I wish I had a nickel for every leaf on each of those trees."  We'd all smile and would think of all the money he'd have if that wish came true.  I've thought of many nickel wishes over the years.  My nickel wish for today would be for every time I've had to regroup and start anew with my goals.  I do it all the time. Sometimes I wish I didn't do it so often.


Life isn't about always staying on the trail though.   It's about getting back on as soon as you wander off a bit.  I do this constantly, at least every week or two.  I set some goals, stick with them for awhile, feel like I'm doing just great, something gets me off course, then I detemine if I want to continue heading away from my goal or if I want to regroup and come back.  For some reason, it always takes some regrouping effort.  I can't just jump back on or hit auto-pilot to bring myself back on course.  I have to plan and commit to make it happen.  Eventually I catch on, but it never seems to amaze me at how easy it is to get off track again.

I wonder sometimes how I'll be doing 10, 20, or 30 years from now with these same goals.   Will I still go for awhile, then veer off when I'm not paying attention or something distracts me?  Or will I finally hit cruise control and just continue on with my goals and enjoy the ride?  I actually enjoy the journey even when I do have to really work at it.  That probably makes it more worthwhile.  My grandpa made his nickel wish about 30 years ago.  I wonder what my goals were then.  I was 15 years old.  I was probably concerned with how I looked, what friends I got to see and if the boy I thought was cute thought I was cute too.  I did set goals for myself though and that's what's gotten me to this point in life.  So I'll continue regrouping and won't feel like it's a lack of progress that brings me to that point.  Perhaps I should give it some lofty new name like navigating instead of regrouping.  That sounds more like I'm in command and am just making sure I'm headed where I truly want to go.  I'm a navigator.  I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment