Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Drinking plenty of Water


One of the goals on our Healthy Habits Challenge is to drink plenty of water. "They say" to drink 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz, 1/2 gallon). On Plan A, that's the minimum goal. For Plan B, it's a little less -- 48 oz. My mom isn't as tall as I am and she said it was a real struggle for her to drink 64 oz. a day. It didn't make her feel good. She feels better with 48 oz. So we made that the goal for Plan B. But if you want more, by all means, drink more and enough to hydrate your body.

For me, if I'm not exercising, I probably drink somewhere in the 48-64 ounce range by the end of the day. When I exercise the morning, I've already downed one Nalgene water bottle (32 oz.) by the end of my workout. I fill it up right after my workout and usually have 1/2 of that gone within a few hours.  Most of the time, I've already met my 64 oz. requirement by noon.  If I don't exercise in the morning, I don't drink as much early in the day, but I still start my day with at least 16 oz. of water.  It just helps get me going.

If you have a big water bottle, I suggest you fill it early in the day and start drinking away.  Trying to drink from glasses all day long is harder to do.  Before I had water bottles (my husband says I buy too many of them -- I love the stainless steel water bottles too), I filled up a pint canning jar with water before my workouts.  Often I had 2 filled up so I wouldn't have to stop my workout to refill.

If you'd like to read another post I wrote a few years ago, click here.

Let me know how you're doing with your Healthy Habits Challenge!

2 comments:

  1. This challenge has had me so energized. I couldn't WAIT to begin. Until yesterday afternoon. I dawdled around at work, getting home later than necessary. I ate supper. I watched TV. I graded papers. I gave my husband a haircut. FINALLY, I exercised. Getting back into the exercise habit is going to be a bear. Tonight I promise to exercise the moment I get home. How is this working for everyone else? Better luck to you.
    Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't sounds like you did TOO terrible because you did get your exercise in. It's hard when you can't do it until the very end of the day though. Make sure you take the phone off the hook when you start. That's one nice thing about 5:30 a.m. workouts -- no one calls to interrupt. :)

    ReplyDelete